Thursday, December 30, 2010

A No Spending Idea

I have heard of people going for certain amounts of time without spending money except, of course, for regular bills, food, and grooming necessities. I think I would like to try this. There are a few reasons why I would like to try this adventure: 
1) I want to stay home with my baby (aka remain unemployed) 
2) I have a lot of time to spare by helping others 
3) I am getting used to being broke 
So, the plan would be for one year...to barter my time for goods and services. Say for instance someone needs a babysitter. I would babysit in return for...laundry soap, postage stamps, baby clothes, clothes for me, etc. Or I could clean up a beauty shop in return for a haircut. This way I am helping out someone and getting the things I need (or want) in return. 
I will be starting a new button making business in January and will be spending money on that for supplies, booths, etc. A majority of the profit (minus purchasing  supplies) will be saved. There is no point in me starting a home-based business if I am just going to blow all the profits on stuff I don't need. 
I will also spend a budgeted amount of money on sending swaps on Swap-Bot. I have a lot of craft supplies that I no longer use that I can swap on there for things I can use. 
I would like to keep a running list of things I need on here. This is all just an idea for now. I need to let it swim around in my head for a few days to make sure it is something I can commit to. Any thoughts on this?

2 comments:

  1. I think that sounds like a great idea...love the idea of perhaps cleaning out a beauty shop for a haircut or swapping babysitting for something you need...gives you time to be at home with your kids too and be flexible about times you give of your time to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!

    http://felicitylingle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete